Real Estate Ink, a boutique full-service agency in serving Melbourne, FL and Palm Bay, has the following suggestions when it comes to power outages. It’s always smart to be prepared should the lights go out.
- Before outages happen, store (in an easily accessible place) flashlights, extra batteries, and a battery-powered radio.
- Set aside water and make extra ice (you can use the ice to keep perishable items cool) when you know an outage is coming.
- Ensure the smoke detector works and the battery is fresh. Always test the smoke detector each month to ensure it’s working.
- Store an appliance thermometer in the freezer; if the freezer is 40 degrees (Fahrenheit) or colder by the time the power returns, the food should be safe.
- During the outage, leave one light on so that you know when the power resumes.
- Always use flashlights instead of candles for lighting during an outage. Traditional candles can be fire hazards.
- During the outage, turn off / disconnect any electronics, appliances, and equipment that were on as the power stopped. When power resumes, there could be surges that damage equipment and motors in appliances.
- Don’t open the refrigerator and freezer during an outage to help keep your food fresh.
- Operate generators safely, and only run a portable generator outdoors with sufficient ventilation. Avoid using a generator indoors or in garages that are attached to the house, because the exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide (deadly if inhaled).
- Tune in to the radio for current information on the outage.
At Real Estate Ink, we look forward to more than just assisting you with buying and selling property. Real Estate Ink is dedicated to building a beneficial relationship with you for the future.