Cleveland, Ohio, is the most affordable housing market, with an average sale price of $74,502. In fact, 45% of the most affordable markets in the U.S. are located in the Midwest.
The honor of most expensive place to live in the U.S. goes to Newport Beach, California, where the average list price for a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home is $2,291,764. (Note that a Cleveland home is 30 times less expensive than a home in Newport Beach.)
In comparison, the nationwide average listing price for a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home is $302,632. However, in 100 of the most affordable markets in the U.S., buyers can find one for under $135,000. In contrast, in the 28 most expensive markets in the U.S., the average price is at least $1 million.
California is home to half of the 100 most expensive housing markets in the U.S., although Hawaii and then Massachusetts are the top two most expensive states to buy a home. Home prices are explosive in many areas of California thanks to the tech industry, but there are still many markets in the large state that are affordable.
Check out the following list of least and most expensive housing markets in the United States:
- Cleveland, Ohio ($74,502)
- Riverdale, Georgia ($79,223)
- Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania ($79,480)
- Detroit, Michigan ($81,616)
- Alma, Michigan ($90,523)
- Gloversville, New York ($91,406)
- Euclid, Ohio ($92,550)
- Hastings, Florida ($95,267)
- Flint, Michigan ($95,482)
- Lithonia, Georgia ($95,750)
- Newport Beach, California ($2,291,764)
- Palo Alto, California ($2,066,600)
- Saratoga, California ($1,979,218)
- Cupertino, California ($1,659,297)
- Los Gatos, California ($1,569,615)
- Arcadia, California ($1,541,406)
- San Mateo, California ($1,463,455)
- Sunnyvale, California ($1,447,411)
- Orono, Minnesota ($1,384,270)
- Redwood City, California ($1,367,350)
Real Estate Ink is a full-service boutique brokerage in Melbourne, FL, offering full service property solutions including sales and leasing representation, property management, project development, and short-term rental services.