If you’re traveling for vacation, the last thing you want to do is worry about the safety of your home and belongings. Courtesy of Real Estate Ink, a full-service real estate boutique brokerage in Melbourne, FL, below you will find some helpful tips to keep your home free of burglars this holiday season!
- Install and activate a home security system. In general, intruders leave the home immediately if they hear an alarm. Note that in some cases, you can remotely arm/disarm your system, locks, and lighting through computers and phone applications.
- Install exterior lights that run on timers or keep the perimeter lighted with low-voltage lighting. The point is to make it appear that you’re home.
- Lock (deadbolt, if possible) and fasten all your doors, windows, gates, and house access points (including pet doors, for example).
- Lock the garage and unplug the power to your automatic garage door so burglars cannot access it with a universal remote. You could also ask a trusted neighbor to park in your driveway once in a while.
- Keep track of your keys, and don’t leave any hidden outside.
- Disconnect the power for electronics like the TV, computer, and toaster, in order to save power and reduce outages. But leave the A/C on.
- Have a trusted neighbor feed the pets, water the plants, and pick up the newspapers, package deliveries, or takeout fliers that get left at the doorstep. Or, stop the newspaper and mail delivery if you’ll be out of town for more than a few days.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to put out your trash containers for pick-up and put them back again when they’re empty.
- Keep your regularly scheduled lawn maintenance if out of town for more than a few days.
- You may want to keep a few blinds open, but ensure that no expensive valuables are visible from the street.
- Avoid leaving an “away on vacation” message on your answering machine. Also refrain from posting vacation information on social networking sites.
- If parking your car at the airport, keep your car’s portable GPS out of sight.
Whether you are looking for vacation rentals, properties in Brevard County, our real estate agents will help you assist in your search.